Skip to main content

Selling downloads of your film on your own part 6

So now that I have figured out how and where the film is going to be sold as a download... now I need to figure out what formats I'll be able to offer the film in without it being too much trouble...

So 4gb is the file size limit I have to work with... I know that I can encode a great quality 720p version of the film and keep the file under 4gb but I'm not so sure about the 1080p version... So last post I talked about how Apple is able to keep its 1080p files for 2 hour films under 4gb... now after digging a little deeper I found out that the low bitrates they are using will only allow good quality with sources have low noise... that is not much grain... not crazy gradients like fog and stuff 0_o

HSM is full of fog and dust so it doesn't allow itself to compression very well... I did a few encoding tests after getting some advice from a d00d at doom10.org

You'll get best results by having a clean, high quality source. Noise and grain reduce efficiency, but some amount of dither is needed to avoid banding. If the movie is very grainy, you'll need to consider denoising at least a bit because otherwise the noise will cause artifacts when encoded at too low bitrate.
I'd suggest starting with this set of parameters: --preset veryslow --tune film --level 4.1 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --vbv-bufsize 30000Use either 2-pass encoding or CRF (try and see what file size --crf 20 gives). Further restrictions may be needed if you need compatibility with specific devices that can't handle normal High Profile L4.1 streams.
Seems the free x264 codec is the best around... but yeh from my tests to get a decent 1080p of HSM in its unmodified state the file would be closer to 6gb than 4gb... I'll do some experiments with denoising to see if I can get the sizes down... but if I can't I don't think downloading two zip files for the 1080p is too much hassle...do you?

So a customer would buy the 1080p and get a link for two files HSM1080p_01.zip and HSM1080p_02.zip

Once they downloaded both all they would have to do is double click one of the files and then it would create HSM1080p.mp4 and that would be the movie file...

So the movie WOULD NOT be in two pieces... you just download two files that unzip and form the ONE movie file...

Doesn't seem too bad does it? I'm going to use separate files for the Movie and soundtrack and other extra stuff anyway... But you'll just make one purchase then you'll be emailed the different links...

For me that wouldn't be any trouble at all... BUT I am a geek ^ ^ If I included clearly written instructions I think it should be fine... what do you think?

If I was able to make the 1080p as two zip files I could make it uber high quality ^ ^ I'm sure the people that want the 1080p would appreciate the best quality rather than just good enough to be under 4gb's eh?


Comments

  1. Sounds good to me. 1080p Uber Qaulity is always the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I think that's awesome. Nice middle ground for us geeks, but easy enough for others. Can't waaaait :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds reasonable.
    I think it would be best to be done in two zipped files. Trying to compress a 1080p version to 4gb and it end up looking horrible would kinda defeat the purpose of it even being 1080p to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just throwing another idea into the meat grinder ......


    8gb flash drives can be found for about 7$ online, probably less if purchased in bulk?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good to me.

    I kinda miss the podcast tho... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh sorry bout that... been so busy since I got back... after the release date there's sure to be more... and theres two episodes we did that we haven't put up yet.... so yeh its not dead just dormant ^ ^ thanks for listening!

      Delete
    2. Good to hear! I was starting to wonder maybe you guys decided to cancel the show entirely lol.

      Delete
  6. i miss the podcast too, and yes i will produce blender tutorials along side it for the more broke of us forever alone filmaker ppl.

    then mdot simply told them he could talk to plants and that they wanted water

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the