Skip to main content

I AM NIGHTMARE production diary #2

Every film, no matter how large or small starts with that first shot- I make my films in order so I start with Shot 0001- this first shot has always been the most difficult for me- GETTING STARTED is the most difficult thing for me- once I get started then it gets challenging and fun ^_^

So here is the first frame from the first shot of my new film "I AM NIGHTMARE"

It's nothing spectacular but its a start and you have to start somewhere- that shot is a test composite as it was the first one with this set- every time I render a new set I make sure the lighting works with the compositing/matte painting look I'm going to be using...

This is what the renders really look like-


So when a shot is animated- I use the hardware(OpenGL) render to render out a 1920x802 24fps Quicktime movie using the Pjpeg codec at %50 quality- these are proxy clips for the offline edit-

So I won't be doing any final renders until the entire film has been animated and the offline edit is locked- these proxy quicktime movies are small and the hardware renderer is very fast- takes about 2 minutes to render a heavy ten second shot-

In the past I rendered the finished shots as I slept BUT I'm changing all that- why? Because I ended up rendering a lot of shots and a lot of extra heads and tails on shots that I never used- and since power consumed = money. Doing it this way saves time and money.

Also I'm less likely to want to change/fix a shot if it has already been rendered because I know the time/money involved- So I can cut that whole process out and allow the film to remain flexible until the edit is locked-

We'd like to think out storyboards are GAWD and that the film won't change once we've planned it all out through the boards but it does change- and by doing it this way the film remains open to change until the very end.

On another note- thanks to everyone who has pre-ordered the film or donated to its production! I've been having fun drawing postcards for you all ^_^ If you got a postcard and took a photo like these awesome peoples please send it to me as I'm going to add them to the credits of the film ^_^
Glad to have you on the strange team Jacob, you madman! ^_^
OMG look at that evil logo back there! ^_^ Thanks J!
Another bonus for those that have pre-ordered is that you will be shown updates and little trailers as I start animating that no one else will see- and soon I will send you a download to the films soundtrack as it is in progress- I've made 9 tracks for it so far, and my collaborator on the soundtrack has done a bunch of tracks as well.

On that note I'd like to thank my homie Dash out there who is collaborating with me on the soundtrack- I'm doing the super dramatic/epic theme type stuff and he's doing the dope ambient moody stuff. Thanks Dash!
Dash with A_BOOK

Comments

  1. Your first frame looks magical, to be corny here for a second excuse me.
    I enjoy these posts a lot, you've made animation seem like something doable to non-animators.

    Also, cool people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really REALLY love seeing stuff like this! where you have this finalish-looking still and its like whoa amazing! then you show it without all the fancy render and polish and shine and its...something that you can actually say hey...maybe i can do that! I'm guessing you do a lot of your post visual work in after effects?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first shot looks amazing M Dot. Thanks for the shout out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still confused as to how you get from the bottom render the the first one. Damn!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the