Skip to main content

Badassery episode 9 notes

After attending GDC and doing some presentations/workshops and doing some film festival screenings I was a bit burnt out this past week so I figured I should make some fun dumb shit- so I returned to my epic series of animated absurdity BADASSERY-

Here is episode 09 for your viewing pleasure MANO E MANO



The script for this episode was 12 pages long- there were 174 shots on the storyboards- There was one day of prep -it took 4 days to animate it all with one half day to do the audio post-

None of it used any software rendering either- it was all exported using Cinema 4d's openGL hardware render which "renders" it exactly as you see it on the screen- so a 10 second shot takes like 20 seconds to "render"- it has its limitations of course but visual quality is not a priority with Badassery I just want workflow speed-

So roughly it took a week to make the whole thing-

I did something different on this one in that I went on youtube and let people know that if they donated money via paypal so I could buy beer they would be executive producers on this episode- so 8 people stepped forward and I had beer to drink while animating-

So this episode actually had a budget.... of $74! I know I'm reaching into Hollywood Blockbuster territory....

I also did some making of vids for this episode you can see those here...

Announcement  Part01  Part02  Part03  Part04  Part05  Part06

So obviously Badassery it not at the level of quality I put into my feature films like I am Nightmare but since its an absurd comedy it works for me- I do love how fast I'm able to make this cheap stuff though-

So with this episode which was 18 minutes long I was able to do it in a week- this got me wondering- if I used this workflow and aimed for a little better quality I could produce 10 minutes of animation a week which would allow me to make a feature film in 2-3 months- again it would not be my best quality BUT depending on the story/style of the film it could work-

I think it works with stupid comedy like Badassery and for disturbing stuff like my series Darksided- but what really interests me is trying it with something totally different-

I have a feature script lying around that I wrote in 2012- its a sexual horror film- its supposed to be a serious horror film which I wrote with a live action film in mind but I'm interested in realizing it as an animated film now using my super speed animation workflow- something I could do part time over a year or two while working on my game-

The style I'm thinking about using is using low poly character models- a bit higher poly than Badassery and with photos as textures sort of like the style they used for the film Metropia like this

But I'll use 3d models- Metropia was like 2.5d which bugged me- it really limited the animation/cinematographic possibilities- so I'm interested in using photographic textures on 3d models a lot like they do for games like GTA but more stylized using my puppet mouth lip sync technique of course because thats where a lot of the speed comes from-

I think theres a real weird space to be found using photo textures with stylized low poly models so I want to explore that-

I'll have to do some tests of course to get a feel for the possible look but the possibility of working on a film one week a month excites me- chipping away at a film 10 minutes a month by working on it one week a month with the rest of the time on my game seems like a good balance between film/games

I know I said I would never go back to film but that thought was really based on creating high quality films like HSM or I am Nightmare with no budget- those films require rendering that is expensive and to create stuff at that level of quality takes a lot of time/effort

So if I create stuff using a super fast lower quality workflow that uses hardware rendering- I have no render expense and I can make the films really fast-

So those are just some of my thoughts at this time after finishing this latest badassery episode-

Tomorrow I start work on the audio post for my friend Jimmy Screamerclauz's feature film "When black birds fly" I'm doing the sound design/mix/master- that should take about a week then when I'm done with that its back to the game-

Thanks for reading/watching!

Comments

  1. this idea really excites me! honestly lowerquality shit can really work for horror, its more raw you know? hell found footage is a genre thats a thing now days, hell jimmys tainted milk is worlds behind what he can do now but that disturbed me like fuck! as long as you have an aswesome core I bet you could do awesome things :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro I think what made Silent Hill so terrifying was partly due to the low poly models, the less there is to 100% see with your eyes, the more there is for the dark side of the imagination to make up for. That's actually where I think a lot of horror games and movies mess up on lately, everyones goin gaga over what digital fx look the best that they just absolutely HAVE to show how pretty their rendered monster model is, leaving nothing to feed the mind just please the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally got a chance to watch this, 1000% excellent :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the