Skip to main content

Ugh memory problems...need some advice...

So as I was working away tonight I looked over at the task manager and noticed it said I only had 6 gigs or ram?! I was like wtf I have 8!??! I did yesterday?! So I rebooted checked the bios... 6 gigs of ram it said?! I opened up the case and reseated the ram... still the bios and windows reported 6 gigs... Then I took out all the dimms and left one in the slot #1... system would not post...just error beeps... Ok I said its either this dimm or this slot... moved the dimm to slot #2... system booted fine... So it must be the slot I say... put the other 2 dimms back in... system wont post?!!? Clear the CMOS... system posts... put all 4 dimms back in hoping clearing the CMOS fixed it... Nope..bios and Windows only see 6gigs of RAM...

Mainboard has 4 dimm slots supporting 32gb of ram its a Tyan S5392... well now apparently I only have three working slots...

So I have to return the mainboard?! NO I cant!! This is the second one I have gotten...had to RMA this first one cause it was DOA from Newegg...Now its under manufacturer warranty and judging by the shitty support on Tyan's site I bet it wont be a quick process...Then I can't work and it'll be a big mess reconfiguring everything when I eventually get it back :(

It was working great all this time I really dont want to take it apart and do everything over... I want to keep working...which I CAN do albeit with 2 gigs less RAM... which I need for this workstation/render server machine....

SO my options are...

Return the mainboard.... and work on my old PC until I get the replacement... but who knows what other costs there will be for that...

or

Buy one 4gb module ($140.00) and replace one of the three 2 gb modules with it...giving me 8 gb again... Will this work? I have never mixed brands of Ram before?! The specs are exactly the same voltage etc... but its a different brand... could use some advice/experience here meh friends...

or

Buy two 4gb modules and use those... ($300.000 w/tax)

Ahhh now I remember the living hardware/software nightmares I had while making WATS...night and mornings spent scouring message boards for help... fingers cut up from sharp heatsinks... they're cut up now and its 6:25am...

Comments

  1. I am not too tech savvy but I took three of the old computers at my house and threw all of the RAM onto one of them, (it was something like 3 sticks of 512 so not any good) but it worked just fine, so buying a 4GB stick should probably work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Man, I'm sorry to read about your Ram issues. Strange that the Tyan mobo won't use all of your Ram. They are usually quality boards.

    I know you want to keep working, but I recommend returning the board if you don't get any decent customer service help. You might consider calling customer service, too, although I hate doing that myself. In the long run, you'll need that extra ram and a fully functional motherboard.

    If you absolutely can't stop work for a bit, then the 4GB stick should work like Phylo said. Mixing brands isnt' really a problem, although ideally you want to keep the brands the same.

    Bummer you might have to throw money at this problem.

    Good luck, Mr. STraNge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good. Takes a little blood to make a good movie. Hopefully your suffering with pay off good sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice d00ds! I'm going to call they tech support line on Monday to see how long it would take...in the meantime I can pop my extra 8800gt in one of the render nodes and work on that machine till the workstation is back in action...

    ReplyDelete
  5. whenever i mix brands it works... but idkk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the