Skip to main content

Grind Grind Grind


GAWD this week has been a GRIND.... grueling shot after grueling shot... I'm really pushing the limits of my hardware+software+aching wrist ^ ^ So the scenes I'm doing this week have like 20 fully animated characters in them... dynamics sims, dynamic hair, particle stuff, heavy SPD + all kinds of shet in like 20 million poly scenes that take 12 gigs of ram to render 0_0

Today I spent 3.5 hours trying to get this mock softbody sim working but I never could so I just faked it with morphs and it looked fine...

STRANGELY enough... these CRAZY scenes are rendering really FAST and they look awesome ^ ^ I turned all my render nodes off except one this week because I HATE PG&E and they HATE ME and because they are not needed for these shots... rendering with the one 8 core box is keeping up just fine.. I'll turn em back on when the shots get crazy and the queue starts stacking up...

ALSO I'm doing April+May's work this month so its been kinda crazy... My mind is still spinning and I'm like SHET the month is OVER?! I've decided to move my schedule up a month because I want to finish a month earlier than I planned so I can spend more time on the end of the film cause those shots are gonna make these I'm doin now look simple 0_o So I need to learn all the tricks I can now...

I did more crowd research... I was able to get a good solution with the Splinespread plugin... the proB was that it can't offset animation coming from IK controllers...it needs straight keys on the affected objects... SO I bought this cheap lil plugin Smart Keyframe Tag (THANKS to your paypal donations! ^ ^) So then you get a character with IK animated er whatever....run that Keyframe tag thang on it and it converts all the animation to keys on the bones etc... then you drop the character into Splinespread and all the clones will be offset... I'll do a proper tutorial later and share they setup as well...

There's so MANY mistakes to be made when making a 3d feature solo like this 0_0 It really is like plugging holes in the hull of your ship... gotta keep those fingers in and also plug the new ones... most ALL of my mistakes are stupid tech gotchas...like ONE that keeps KILLING ME is when I was working on the models and texturing them I used this legacy dirt shader in C4d... it looks fine for stills but when animated it flickers like crazy and makes this blocky pattern thereby ruining the shot... i THOUGHT I eradicated it from all the models but it keeps popping up fucking up my renders so I go on dirt shader hunts going through shots deleting that BASTARD...

The GOOD thing about fucking shit up early on is ^ ^ So early in the film I thought it looked good at the time then later I realized I made a bunch of mistakes so I thought it looked good before but then when I fix it...it looks amazing ^ ^ So yeh... theres some incentive to do teH fixin....

I plan to take 2 weeks off in July so before then I'll fix all the broke shots and hopefully they will all render over that two week period... the last time I took off was on Xmas... So yeh after grinding May and June it will be nice to take a short breather before I come back and PWN THROUGH the rest of the film ^ ^

Comments

  1. Dude that Spike action figure is Sweet, Must get one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinda new here - have you posted any frames from the movie yet?

    ~ J

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 weeks off 0_0
    half of month 0_0
    unbelievable^ ^
    ^ ^ vacations
    hot summer days^ ^
    WILL BE RAIN!
    marionettes will miss you^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree that spike action figure is freakin' sweet. i JUST burnt all 3 dvds of bebop for my new friend holly cuz she recommended samurai champloo to me and i'm already lovin' it. she's never seen bebop and i was like @_@ whoaa get on that! ;D

    sounds like HSM is coming along perfectly! i'm really excited. whenever i read these posts i keep thinking "gawd i'd kill to even watch like 30 seconds of it" lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the