Skip to main content

Professional tools - Amateur Ideas

I was listening to an episode of "The Business" awhile back about how in Hollywood they were getting rid of all these older, experienced writers and hiring younger people in they place simply because they were younger... Now with the timelines they described this seemed to run in parallel with the shift from fictional narrative shows (actual stories) to the wasteland of "reality" based crap that clogs the channels today... they have no stories to tell so they try to emulate "reality" or rehash things that have already been done over and over... they'll take something an older writer did and just make the characters "hotter" or more current or some bullshit...

My thought is DIS... Strong stories are tied to emotions... emotions are tied to experience... experience can only be EXPERIENCED not simply read about on wikipedia with shiny facsimile output as the result... To be a storyteller is to be experienced... If you haven't experienced anything what stories do you have to tell? SECOND HAND stories yes BUT those will lack emotion so they will lack deep impact... they can still be clever or snarky or whatever but they will NOT make any lasting deep connections with people... 

Example A - professional tools AMATEUR IDEAS

This apparently is a "proof of concept" for a feature film...now I'm going to assume the only concept they are trying to prove is that the creators saw "Ghost in the Shell" and a bunch of other anime's and are familiar with many tired visual cliches and are able to operate 3d software at a high level and employ a myriad of cliche's.... too???... Where is the emotion? Where is the experience? Did one of the geeks who worked on this like backflip assault some compound dressed like Cyborg Ninja from MGS because like they kidnapped his girlfriend or something? Prolly not 0_o ITS ALL FLUFF there is NOTHING AUTHENTIC but fanboiSM... so do you want to see 150 geeks masturbate in a circle while humming like light sabre's? I sure don't maNE! BUT BUT LOOK AT THE PARTICLES FX OMG

So is this why you can take someone or a group of people with no real meatY experiences to mine for drama and have them make a "film" with they shiny cutting edge tools and have it lack any lasting impact? Me thinks So... What did that short leave you with? Ummm things exploded...that Cyborg Ninja guy is "bad ass" because he did "bad ass" things and we all know being "bad ass" for the sake of being "bad ass" is like the most "bad ass" thing you could do!!

Is this why you can sit at a table with an old storyteller and have his/her words drawn from they real life experiences be 100x more captivating than any second hand flickering light and color show? Me thinks so...Know any old guys who went to war or traveled the world? Many of them KNOW how to tell stories and they probably have some GREAT ONES

Example B- Who cares about the tools GENIUS PROFESSIONAL IDEAS

I could probably use any animation by David Firth as an example of the IDEA RULING over ALL... I constantly go back and watch his animations... and the ideas in them stay with me... I'm sure if he did full 3d animation he wouldn't suddenly lose his magic cause he now had GI and dynamics systems ^ ^ He's an amazing storyteller first and FOREMOST...give him ANY tool and he will make it win as a great storyteller should.... we shouldn't have to rely on our tools or techniques to attempt to make our work noteworthy...

The tech stuff is always get easier so I say focus on the IDEA, THE EMOTION... because until you do there will be NO LIFE in your work... it can be clever yes... it can strike an instant major chord like a fancy TV commercial... but it is only topical... will talking about the weather really connect with anyone? Or will talking about they abusive childhood?

I take film and animation very seriously... to me its NOT just some random shit that flashes past my eyes while I sit in a chair and stuff my face... I don't want an "escape"... I want it to engage me and challenge me and make me think about my life and my place in the world... AND if it gives me a new perspective on that or some new insights that is WIN... I want it to go BEYOND logic and cause and effect... I want it to shake me at my core emotionally not because of blood and gore etc...

Film/media/propaganda shapes and reshapes the masses perception of the world, which in turn changes the world... So why would anyone take it so lightly? If film is food for thought...what have people been feeding themselves? Reprocessed double regurgitated puree of cliche? LACKING any real emotion or passion... that won't make for healthy people me thinks... Look around you at the results...

Back to my original point... I think its GREAT that regular people like myself have access to these professional tools and can create technically "professional" work... BUT I think WE need to make up for the slack the mainstream has created... So now you have these "professional" tools BUT still you choose to make the same empty shallow crap the majors make? Why? Because your scared? Because you have no real experience to mine for emotion to put in your films? Because you spend too much time studying the films of MicheL Gondry when you should be out hollering at what your soul screams at for you to grab from life?

If you have professional tools... now is the time to step it up and bring your ideas up to the same level.... because technical competence alone isn't going to build you an audience on non-engineers anytime soon...

Because when I look around into the world of 3d animation I see a lot of professional tools and craftsman hammering away at weak amateur ideas.. AND there's SO MANY POSSIBILITIES and SO MUCH POWER with the medium of 3d animation!

So before you start on your "3d short film" or whatever...ask yourself Why am I making this?" Because I have some message to the world I have never heard before that I'm trying to express? OR Because I have all those cool tools that I know how to use and I want to make something with them?

Now from an audience's perspective which film would you be interested in seeing?

If you ask me... filmmakers need to ask themselves a lot more "WHY?" questionS

Comments

  1. I'm no 3D god (i'm the rice god!) but My blog readers know that i have a writers talent (a talent i have never really known i had)
    I'm constantly thinking of new things that just make my soul scream "FUCK YEAH THIS IS AWESOME" but i find myself unable to ever express what i can see in my head

    i gotta werk on that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Firth never fails to impress me....the other video was only impressive from a technical perspective, ALSO WAY TO MANY POSES

    HE JUMPS HE LANDS HE ..Sits there for a minute...OH WATCH OUT MISSILES!.....nope...still sitting there..trying to look cool :/
    While I would love to have that skill in the technical side of things..I'm not impressed with it on any other level...

    Poor ppl..they sold they time...but I guess it's nobodies fault besides their own.

    and ya, Reyories can do some writing! >.> <.<

    Ofcourse I dont think I have got to see it at it's max potential though... but I doh noh!
    MAKE A FILM!

    umm...and....yes, Grandmas and beatles and firth...wow...I watched that the other day 0___o

    Also M I have a serious question,

    How did you learn rigging?

    I'm going over a 3dkiwi one, but I keep getting stuck on a part so maybe I'll just ask them on it..Or try again, maybe I'll realize my error.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Azerus Rising it is not a movie and the same things

    it's a game
    they want people to live in a game
    don't afraid of 2012
    this is Avalon now
    they feed from this
    Do not feed the machines
    the Earth will end because of that




    I had a sign which allowed me to sell and to buy, others stretched out their hands from the steel cage
    Imperial
    We were a lot
    people with a platform to control us

    the world I am from

    do not feed the dream machine now

    ReplyDelete
  4. wrote those guys who made that Aeon whatever film you posted.

    My critique was this.
    Great looking film, loved the color scheme. It looked great but it also took too long to make for 6minutes.

    The creator said "We really couldn't tell alot of story in 6 minutes" I told them a ton of story can be told in 3-6 minutes. 30 seconds for that matter.

    I also mentioned it just looked like a dude running around with no motive, flipping for no reason and attacking folks for no reason.

    I wished him the best but thought there was much lacking. It was generic and bland. Cool to look at but no kind of story.

    And I'm the type who likes simple and fun entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nikki,

    The cage, did the bars not break? Were the people left?

    What did those with the sign say in response? Did they even care?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The matrix called, they want their floaty levitation pads back...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @D64! ^ ^
    ok 'run' I mean
    no one will help even if you are dying
    just people didn't want to quit their job
    they had to eat
    they couldn't help beggars
    who cares? or maybe fucking 'talking heads' cared?
    but I cared
    ..aww it was like digital nazi concentration camps
    those ones have been with alien technologies
    radiolocation magnetic fields tech
    it was like RFID tech that uses WAlmart now


    and I was crying of Sintel cuz my dog has died 7 years ago
    funny that nobody here cares of my dog^ ^
    I mean emotions ^ ^
    now I know why my home town was so U_U
    and why they've sent me here ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is my message to the world:

    you have very beautiful green trees here
    take care of them

    ReplyDelete
  9. all contactees are our friends

    ReplyDelete
  10. "they" try to turn people into machines like they had before
    for easily to control

    ReplyDelete
  11. a room is empty?
    we've gone to test a nuclear warhead we'll be back soon

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder what M is doing
    He's been pretty damn silent

    Still waiting for this whole conspiracy to kick up
    unless...
    THE CONSPIRACY IS TO GET USE EXCITED ABOUT THE MOVIE CONSPIRACY THEN DISAPPEAR UNTIL THE MOVIES OUT
    you're an evil man mdot
    (can't spell conspiracy without piracy!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mdot: http://www.shainerin.com/gallery.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been like 14 days since we herd from M
    I think the awesomeness of HSM made M's head explode
    and now his corpse is laying by his workstation stinking up the room
    too bad i wanted to see his next movie too

    ReplyDelete
  15. the beginning the ending we are always ready xD

    selflessly working

    M. invented the superstructed hyper plasmoid meta 3³cucumberoid +12 WFPC4000

    I even can't imagine such a great it is

    for automatically publishing here

    Oh I m off

    ReplyDelete
  16. M dot, have you ever used Autodesk 3ds, and if so, how good is it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm on yer blog stealin yer lulz!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i bet m dot is working on something so awesome we can;t even begin to comprehend it for the conspiracy right now
    WE WILL SEE WHEN HE FINALLY GETS BACK

    ReplyDelete
  19. M Dot Strange has retired from independent animation, to go work at Pixar. He will be animating seaweed #47829 in the sequel "Finding Nemo 2: Revenge of the Sushi Chef"

    ReplyDelete
  20. @NoDelete lol that gave me a chuckle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the