Skip to main content

ComP Start COmp_WHA?!

So after finishing up the matte paintings I started compositing final shots today... Here's some notes...

My workflow for making the matte paintings was this...

  1. Render out a bunch of still elements from C4d to use (mountains, statues, trees etc)
  2. Export a still from a shot/set that needs a matte painting... 
  3. Bring that into Photoshop with the other elements visible in Bridge so I can easily grab stuff and use it in Pshop...
  4. Create the matte painting through mega photoshopping...
  5. Open a shot in After Effects
  6. Import the Pshop file for the MPainting as a Compostion so the layers are intact in AE
  7. Drop the matte painting into the bg of the Ae compostion
  8. Turn it into a 3d layer, add an expression to the Position and use the pick whip to make it a child of the "Sky tracker" lights that came in from C4d
  9. Rotate and scale it into position, levels adjustment
  10. Add anything else to the Mpainting composition do necessary adjustments
I created my matte paintings at 2500 x 2000 pixels.... and by having them as active compositions in my AE compostions makes things really slow.... after doing some render tests I found that on my i7 box with 16gb of ram my comps are too heavy for it too render without errors and artifacts... Its mainly the Matte painting BG comps that are causing the probs because I added animated elements into them as well and yeh they are 2500x2000 0_o and of course I've got a good number of fx as well on multiple adjustment layers...

Sooooo... the solution is to render the matte painting comps out at image sequences...BUT I don't want to do that before doing the FINAL comps because I'll have to modify them from shot to shot most likely... SO what I'm going to do is.... Start doing final composites BUT not render them yet as they still have the matte painting MEGA compositions in them... SO when the finals are ready and the bg's are all tweaked to death THEN I'll render each bg out as an image sequence switch that out with the Compostion using AE's "render and replace" output module option... SO then once the rendered bg's are in place I'll be able to render the final comps...

After Effects Cs5 really eats ram with heavy comps... mY i7 box has 4 cores(8 w/ht)  and 16gb of ram BUT on anything but the lightest comps I have to set the multiprocessing options to only use 3 cores with 3gb for each core... I did a bunch of speed tests and on my 920 machine there wasn't much of a speed difference between using 3 cores or 6 cores in AE on a light compostion... NOW its more about how much ram a core has when the compositions get heavier... for example... After Effects will render a heavy comp using 6 cores with only like 1.5gb per core but it will take FOREVER 0_o then you switch it to 3 cores with 3gb each and it chugs along nonstop and gets done like 5x faster than using 6 starved for ram cores...

Even with 3gb per core rendering my comps with the active 2500x2000 bg's were too much so I will have to pre-render those...  but its not a problem at all...

On a totally different subject...

A pretty well know film sales agent contacted me today cause he "heard good things" about my new film and was inquiring about it... And I'm like 0_o cause there's like no info or anything about it anywhere... I guess those d00ds like to get a head start or something ^ ^

From my lil experience with that side of the business... unless you sell it for like 2 million + and get a guaranteed international theatrical run its not really worth it to go through a sales agent to get a DVD/VOD deal... we can do good DVD/Vod deals ourselves and end up making a lot more money then if we went through a middle man... I could have made 4x as much money as I did if I would have fully exploited WATS but I was like eh I made enough to make a new film... I'm gonna go do that...

So unless a distributor offers me a couple million bucks for it I'll be doing things on my own again with help from my friends out there ^ ^ I'm really looking forward to working with Indieblitz! This time I'm gonna do my best to make available all the merchandise that yall told me you wanted in the survey I conducted... TOYS would be the ultimate but I haven't investigated that too much yet...aight well back to work...

Comments

  1. i'll give you 10 mil for your movie ^_^
    And the only rendering i can do is on my 2GB laptop
    fun stuff.... can;t wait to build a workstation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toys would be awesome.
    Go to the Kid Robot website. The forums have a whole bunch of information on custom toy building.

    Basically how it works is, design the toy, find some Taiwanese or Chinese company to make it for you. Do a limited run and sell them for 30-50 bucks a pop as custom toys.

    The guys at Muttpop.com also have a ton of information and some fun toys themselves. If anyone has information on indie toymaking they would

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mdot, it's been forever...
    Here is a toy alternative for you: http://www.shapeways.com/
    You can create your own shop and upload your 3d models. They have a lot of materials and even metals. They are from the Netherlands but just set up HQs in the US. Might be a bit pricey but you can really customize individual units. Maybe you can sell like "3D animation sculptural stills", a different "frame" pose per unit... See the Gallery/Personalize section. Greets from Berlin, Tank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike,

    You should tell Cinetic (i'm guessing it's them)to fuck off! :D

    Adam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the