Skip to main content

Years smear past like a train parallaxiNG fasT

Another day... another X number of shots for me on my way to completing X film... that's kind of the way I've come to look at time and the like... the only bearing time has on what I do or on my memories is in regard to what I was creating at the time... 2004-2007 WATS 2007-2008 IDEAS 2008-2011 HSM 2011-2012 IDEAS 2012-2014 NEW FILM and so on....

I spent a fair amount of time in 2007-2009 traveling which can eat a lot of your time without you being able to get much done if your not careful BUT I did my best to use even my travel time productively... I revised the script while eating early breakfasts in some hotel in Berlin....I modeled some of the things for HSM while looking out the window of my hotel room in Slovakia... I modeled some other things while on break in Iceland... I modeled a few other things while in Scotland, Ireland and France and probably some other places I forgot... I always tried to keep the project alive as time passed because it can slip away from you all too easily... traveling takes a lot of time and it is nice BUT I know to do the real great big stuff I have to be locked away in the same place day after day...

So if your locked away in some room somewhere get on your grind and make some great stuff that will allow you to go where ever you like some day ^ ^ When I was in college studying Kinesiology for some reason... I worked full time in construction in the summers and I delivered furniture on the weekends... so when I finished college I was able to save up like $6600 after tuition and all that... I didn't have a car at the time and I guess most people were buying cars at that time and everyone was pressuring me to buy a car BUT I was already making ghetto little skits and films and that was right around the miniDV "revolution" and I was already geeking out on what computer to get etc... so I thought to myself "I'm going to buy a computer and not a car... because in the long run this computer will take me farther than a car ever will" and years and years later it came true! ^ ^ The only reason I've been able to do what I do now is because of that decision I made to buy my first nice computer... It was a g4 500mhz with 512mb of ram and I added two 60gb drives...I ended up spending my whole $6600 and I never regretted it...it was an investment in the future I wanted....

So I chose to be a "loser" without a car then... so I could do what I do now... I still don't have a car or any substantial currency holdingS BUT the future I see keeps getting better everyday... things are getting brighter as time goes on and I've yet to even come close to peaking as far as the potential goes... and I don't have to throw money into things to keep getting better results...just time and hard work...

I know a few people who pay close attention to time and age... and I think its a waste of time and energy... there's people who are obsessed with doing X task by X age... we all have our own way of doing things and were not machines rolling off assembly lines with identical configurations so there will be variation... sometimes I get down on myself and I say I should have already made 6 feature films instead of the 3 I've made not counting HSM... BUT then I look back and I never just concentrated on film... I was writing, making music, working, having life experiences, lifting weights a lot at one point, moshing a lot at one point... all these things led to who I am now and I appreciate all the different experiences... the tears and the sorrow as much as the joy and the laughter...its all apart of making you a better artist I believe...

So even if you think your wasting your "time" in some school that bores you or in some job your indifferent too... everything will turn out fine AS LONG AS YOU KEEP YOUR ART/PASSION ALIVE IN YOUR HEART... as long as you keep it alive by giving it time and energy whenever you can it will be fine...its all apart of the life experience you need to create living art... I NEVER lost or let go of my movie ideas...I kept working on them however I could whenever I could until I could actually shoot them... digging holes in the sun all day is a lot easier when your looking forward to shooting some scenes from your film on the weekend...

I'm looking forward to seeing where HSM takes me BUT I'm always aware of the time issue so getting into my next film asap is my priority....

I've already got enough life experience reserves for another film I believe ^ ^ SO right back to work! GOTTA MINE THOSE REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES FOR YOUR ART!

So next time your heartbroken, sobbing and listless don't forget to take notes so you can use it in your art later in life when you've figured out that today's tragedy is tomorrows comedy or today's IRL tragedy in tomorrows cinematic tragedy...

2010 was all HSM as I started animation in October 2009 and completed it in October 2010...and since then I've been compositing which will be completed January 9th.... there was no tragedy...just work...and sometimes that's how it is...

I've had my work locked away and closed to yall for going on 2 years now... with 2011 comes change...I'll be able to open things up and show you what I've poured my life into over this time...

So my biggest thanks to you for supporting me and being interested in my works all this time... I've been doing my absolute best to bring you something powerful and unique and it's looking pretty good ^ ^

Bestest to you in your life and with your art in 2011,

M doTs

Comments

  1. yea, i know how it is man, right now, at this moment, i'm studying to be a language teacher at university, and it's like, i've learned so many things i wouldn't have learnd if i had taken the "usual way", instead of going to art school or graphic design, destiny put me here, giving me new experiences that i thought i would never live, even so, i'm anxious to just finish my career so i can spend full time learning more about storytelling and drawing, and finally being able to create something worth seeing, so i think the lesson here is not give up, don't be dissapointed if you can't have the results you wanted, in the end, destiny will pay you in return. Bestest M :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year from Michigan. Your art is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, so glad to be your internet buddy and support your work. It's precisely because you have such passion for your work that I follow your posts/work/ideas so closely. Not too many people are doing exactly what they want to do on their own terms. Your ideas/work have been a great inspiration to me all year. Thanks right back at you, Md. All the best to you this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy new year M :), your art and legacy will trascend time and space my friend :), looking forward to work with you someday in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! What a great New Years Message! As Ricky said, you are a continuing source of inspiration. Here's wishing you a wonderful 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new year master M...hope to see you giving a lecture in Portugal about your films one day...I keep mention your blog to everyone I know doing animation.
    Cheers
    *Bill Plimpton was at Lisbon in March on MONSTRA (monster) animation festival.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the