Skip to main content

Some Samurai films that inspired Heart String Marionette


Here is a list of some common and not so common Samurai films that inspired my new film Heart String Marionette

SWORD OF DOOM- When I saw this for the first time I instantly loved it and watched it over and over and also fell in love with the lead actor Tatsuya Nakadai and the director Kihachi Okamoto... to me it was a great hero story haha seeing that I love anti-heroes... Its so dark and brooding its awesome! Also the ending has to be one the best endings ever... this film is easy to find.... this film is based on a popular story and several other films were made that continue where this one left off... if you want to see what happens I recommend the SATANS SWORD TRILOGY starring Raizo Ichikawa... the end of the last one is particularly awesome ^ ^

The SLEEPY EYES OF DEATH series or NEMURI KYOSHIRO- There's twelve of these and they vary in quality but if yer hardcore you'll want to see them all... They all star the AWESOME Raizo Ichikawa who next to Tatsuya Nakadai and the underrated Isao Natsuyagi are my favorite actors from this film period... the best ones we're directed by Kenji Misumi... you'll be mesmerized by the FULL MOON CUT too! ^_^ I had to buy all these on Ebay so they are a little harder to find...

SAMURAI WOLF I and II: These are two of my absolute favorites and these films are totally underrated... Chambara film master Hideo Gosha directs both about a wandering ronin who tries to act like a bad guy but really has a good heart... they star Isao Natsuyagi who is GREAT as a lead and I was surprised to find these were the only films of the kind that he starred in... the score is also really unique and awesome.

HARAKIRI- This has to be one of the greatest films ever made! Directed by Masaki Kobayashi from the more well known KWAIDAN and starring Tatsuya Nakadai in one of his best roles ever! Its a very quiet, slow paced film but its a very powerful build to a great and tragic end.

HUNTER IN THE DARK- My jaw dropped when I saw this as the cinematography, the direction... everything is amazing! Again, one of the darker and more tragic films... The opening scene with the nude woman and the man preparing to do shady stuff in the shadows is a great visual metaphor to frame the film...

GOYOKIN- Another amazing dark and tragic film... anime fans will notice several scenes that must have inspired Ninja Scroll creator Yoshiaki Kawajiri... On a personal note the character Oriha in this film inspired the character Siouxsie Silen in my new film Heart String Marionette... again the acting, direction, camerawork and editing are top notch!

DESTINYS SON OR KIRU- Guess what another dark and tragic Samurai film! This one stars Raizo as he wields a cursed sword style that I have the main character in my new film use in one scene... the end of this one is very tragic

INN OF EVIL- This one stars Tatsuya Nakadai and has lots of powerful quiet moments like when the girl who works in the bar is watching Tatsuya's character trying to care for a baby bird... when she's peering through the grass at him I think its one of the most beautiful moments in film

MUSHUKO MONO or HOMELESS DRIFTER- It stars Raizo and is directed by Misumi... awesome build up and ending on this one... well everything is great about it!

Also check out!

KILL! NAKAYAMA SHICHIRI SWORD DEVIL MIKOGAMI TRILOGY THREE OUTLAW SAMURAI SAMURAI REBELLION

Pretty much anything directed by GOSHA, OKAMATO, KOBAYASHI or MISUMI or starring TATSUYA NAKADAI or RAIZO ICHIKAWA

You'll probably notice that I didn't list anything by KUROSAWA... well because everyone already knows about those and I tend to like the darker, moodier films... so yeh if you haven't seen some of these go check em out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the