Skip to main content

Sweet profitable lies or the healthy "tough sell" truth?

Everything is a mirror to us... we look for our own reflections in most everything we see... I believe that when we watch a film we cannot help but project ourselves into it some how... through a character... through a situation...

Films for many people are an "escape"... an excuse to "turn their brains off"... films are often referred to as pure entertainment BUT if you fail to acknowledge that many people "learn" about historical events, themselves and the world through film than you're missing something very important...

We live in the age of video... want to learn something easily and quickly? Watch a video...

Now I'm not going to go batshit insane on you (just yet ^_^) and claim that there is an agenda behind Hollywood and the films it produces as the prime directive seems to just be to PROFIT above all things.

Now WE are the media creators... WE are the filmmakers and authors.. WE have a chance to reflect the world through our films more accurately than ever... the truth is usually bent and distorted in films to make it more entertaining or to give things a happier or more desirable ending to the films producers/financiers... and in the end people are lied too... people are misled...

Its MORE CHALLENGING to deal with truths AND make an interesting/exciting film but I believe it is possible it just takes MORE WORK and if PROFIT is GOD then hard work will be eschewed in favor of quick fixes to provide instant recognizability/gratification...

Lies are like a sugary donut... it tastes sweet and provides instant gratification.... the truth is like fiber... it doesn't taste good, it doesn't provide instant gratification BUT it will make you healthier in the end (no pun intended ^_^)

So while its easier to NOT fully research things and its easier to NOT assume any responsibility for the repercussions your films/videos might have... I believe you MUST be aware of the power you hold... and you must decide what is important to you when creating whatever it is that you create...

The media molds and shapes the minds of the masses... So what has the mass media made of the minds of the masses today? It's made mincemeat of their minds if you ask me and created tons of hate, fear, self loathing, alienation, and sadness... all for profit.

So what is an independent creator to do? Decide where you stand. What do you stand for? Are you going to hand out sugary donuts or health food? Do you care about people or do you only care about yourself? Do you care about all people? Or do you only care about your race/culture/religion?

Before I wrote this post I was looking through a timeline of animated feature films and it was so lame... shiny plastic movie after shiny plastic movie... animation has the ability and power to speak to all people... not just children AND children have the ability/awareness to process and deal with subjects in film far more advanced than they are given credit for or allowed to see by the big studios.

Obviously man has no fucking idea what he's doing today... just look around for the truth about what is going on in this world... the real truth! NOT what mainstream media tells you...

Problems cannot be solved until you present the TRUTH! REAL ISSUES! THE FACTS! THE DATA! Running from the truth is insane as it will NEVER go away.

The world is FUCKED UP and mythology/films/media can be used to process and understand these fucked up things BUT if our mythology/films/media is not addressing these things than it makes it FAR more difficult to process...

Filmmakers are failing humanity... each film could be a mirror designed to help people deal with their trauma but instead profit is GOD and the only people served are the shareholders/producers/financiers... why not be a filmmaker FOR THE PEOPLE? YES its MUCH MORE difficult to do it that way and survive but what the fuck? Do we not have a social conscience? If not than you SHOULD NOT be making films because you are a part of the problem.

History is constantly warped and distorted through mainstream films... the human psyche is constantly warped and distorted through mainstream films... yet because they desire that sugary donut of a lie- the instant gratification those sweet lies bring they keep watching.... and the warping continues...

At first the person that tells the truth is always treated like an asshole... but the truth is the truth... so you might be treated like an asshole for telling the truth BUT you must remember that yourself as well as the people you are affecting will be healthier for it- most will still probably choose to consume the sweet lies BUT at least you did your part.

So if you are doubting telling the "ugly" truth in your film DON'T! Show the truth no matter how "ugly" it is... its what we need... work harder to tell the truth AND make a compelling film or whatever it is that you are creating.

Now those familiar with my work might say WTF you make this crazy fantasy wacked out shit! How is that the truth?! I speak in my own cinematic language and in my language I'm speaking truthfully. I'm doing the best I can to tell the truth, given my education, life experiences and exposure to the world.

So don't be afraid to tell the truth! The world needs it!




Comments

  1. This is a link for the video of my "Medicinal Ingenuity" logo on youtube.
    If you'd read the description,, you'd notice its exactly what your blog here says.. in short.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-9_FGnlf_Q
    People are gonna start thinking we're stealing ideas from eachother man. lulzebra.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the