Skip to main content

Firing arrows into the darkness

If you can see the target.... fire the flaming arrows ignited by your passion and watch it burn brighter and brighter as people in the future meander past-

They may be bewildered still- if then- there's no helping that as you're on to the next target anyway-

Firing at the targets people hold up for you is like playing cover songs- they'll smile and clap when you hit the target in their hands but know that you're performance is forgettable and you're just playing favorites and trying to appease the crowds instead of answering the call of the fire that dwells within you.

The fire won't generate ad revenue for you, no- BUT it gives you something most people don't have- something you cannot buy or borrow- something you cannot attain through any other means.

Most "business" is had through doing what the customer KNOWS and WANTS- its too bad something as powerful as FILM- is being used to pander to people for change for the most part.

It's like using a telescope to look up into your own ass(just browse the post popular videos on youtube or watch the Hollywood Blockbuster of the moment) instead of using it to discover the mysteries of the universe. NOW some might say that FILM is just entertainment- something used to pass the time- to give people an escape- some people also use books as paperweights and decoration instead of reading and learning from them.

I'm going to figure out this film thing in time- until then I'll keep firing arrows into the darkness.

Why succumb to the status quo and melt into an apathetic sea of mediocrity when you can burn bright eternally?




Comments

  1. Fuck ya I just hung out with the lord of ink horror art Burnie Wrightson an thats just bwhat he was saying an he spnned years with his works

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't it be both? In my stories and creations I just create like when I was a kid. Yeah I watched the long ads we called as 80s cartoons. Yeah I'd buy the toys but then use my imagination to play with them. I had giant crossover battles and adventures. Care bears were in the same world as He-man. Thundercats hung out with the Transformers. Spiderman fought a giant lizard I bought at the zoo. The way I create is the imagination I had as a child. I want to sell toys, I want to tell stories, I want to build nostalgia. I want for the film to be turned off and kids play "Alienboy" in the streets. I want it to just be pure imagination. If it sells great! I hope it sells. It is a piece of me. I want to capture that childish imagination I had as a child. But I think that is where you have to create, from a deep place. Whether it is your dark place or your light place.

    I do think FILM should be something more than entertainment. It is the story of your life. I can remember when I first saw Godzilla and believed a man could fly. I remember going to far off worlds and being scared by Alien monsters. But at the same time I remember when SILENCED made me cry and learned that it moved a nation to action. I remember saying wtf to Survive Style 5. I remember when MEDUSA's head was cut off and remember the fear and glee I had over GREMLINS. :)

    I'm a consumer and know what I want to see and that is what I make. If other consumers want it then great. :) If they don't Sasquatch name Joe will disappear. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your the bomb Mike! Damon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the