Skip to main content

I AM NIGHTMARE Production Diary #10

I just finished animating the second sequence of the films nine- the sequence was 137 shots
Shot files produced in the past two weeks

The 136 shots equal about 10 minutes of screen time
Rough cut timeline- about 10 minutes of screen time


So when you add what I just finished to the films first sequence that I finished earlier this month I've produced 27 minutes of completed/edited animation from this month alone 0_0


At this rate I'll finish the whole film in 3 more months- BUT the films ninth and final sequence is more complex than the entire film before it so I'm going to dedicate 1-2 months for that final sequence- but I have moved up my new target release date to late October

I could have done MORE this month but I took five days off of I AM NIGHTMARE to do an animated music video for Rabbit Junk which they'll release on the 5th 


As fast as I'm going the shots that take the longest to animate are ones like the above with multiple characters talking and interacting which this film has a lot of- it takes long enough to animate one character when their talking and miming etc- so shots like this take the longest BUT if their done well they help flesh out the characters a lot as you learn a lot about them watching them react to the other characters


A few months ago I was contacted by an old friend who used to act in my crazy live action films I was doing 2001-2003 It's the guy playing the crazy annoying Brandon guy in this 

We hadn't talked in maybe ten years? He found my site and contacted me through it- he was away from doing any acting for about ten years AND he was taking classes to do voice acting- there was one open role in I AM NIGHTMARE that I was going to do it myself but I thought it was meant to be that he contacted me so I gave him the role and he ended up nailing it and doing an awesome job- So I'm glad to have my friend Damon back on the strange team- well he was on the team before I was "M dot Strange" as I was just SomeGuy ^_^



Speaking of voice acting- the voice actors are killin it! When ever I'm going through and editing their takes I'm smiling and laughing as they have done such a great job!

The music created my Mad Dashiell and myself fit the film perfectly! We've made some new tracks since I made the soundtrack available to pre-order customers- so I'll be sure to update it to the final version when the film is done.

I'm off to the Victoria Independent Film Festival on Wednesday to show Heart String Marionette and watch a few films.

So watch out for the new Rabbit Junk video this Friday the 5th-  the song is boss and the video is pretty fucking crazy I must say- its easily the best music video I have done- I spent 5 days on it and I'm really happy with the finished video as it captures the energy and violence I wanted to express ^_^


I want to do a nice making-of for the video- I was working so fast I didn't have a chance to screen capture any of the animation I was doing as I was doing it- but after the video is released I'll do a blog post about it sharing some techniques and the like.

Thanks for the recent I AM NIGHTMARE pre-orders! I'm going to draw and mail out your postcards tomorrow as I have a free day before I leave for the film festival.


Comments

  1. Man, you are on FIYAH. Awesome that you have one of your old short film club dudes back in action. Good luck at the festival and keep banging out that animation. Can't wait to see the RJ vid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the