Skip to main content

Reputation as a currency- don't default on your loans

In a real job you're doing it for the money- when making films the way I do no money is guaranteed so you have to be do it for other reasons-

Those reasons have to be important enough to you so that you'll have the desire and will power to grind on it every day for months and years-

Even if there is no money guaranteed there is a type of currency involved- that currency is REPUTATION

If you start on a project and announce it to others you just took out a (reputation)loan with the people who believe the project will be completed- you have gambled your reputation- you have gambled some or all of that currency- the people that believe in you and tell others about it have also gambled some of their reputation-

If this is your first project and don't have other completed ones in your reputation bank that are appreciating in value you could end up bankrupt right out of the gate so be careful! This is why its important to start with small projects and build up to larger more complex ones- don't take out too big of a loan at first!

If you don't complete it you have defaulted on your reputation loan and may have to file for reputation bankruptcy- if you fail you've also caused the people that believed in you and your project to lose currency as well- a bad deal for all those involved-

At this time reputation is a conceptual currency but I believe in the future it will become an actual currency that you can use to trade for goods and services-

So even if you aren't rich with money you can become RICH with REPUTATION-

Once you're rich with reputation it makes it easier for people to lend you actual money because they know you can trusted to not bankrupt them in regard to reputation and money.

So how much do you have in the reputation bank? If its not as much as you'd like then start investing in yourself and build up that reputation wealth for the future!

Comments

  1. ace post mdot.

    the following is not about you. you are genius rockstar.

    If someone stabs you in the back, after you have helped them for years and years, they lose their reputation.

    I should also point out that if someone steals harddrives from people, and makes fake fundraisers from the content that they found on the hard drives, but don't tell any of the people that blindly donated to their fake fundraisers, at some point, they are gonna have to tell people that they were tricked.

    Trying to go year after year without telling people they tricked them, is a very mean thing to do. People deserve to know how they were tricked.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i feel like i have missed something .......

      Delete
    2. ya. it has been a very awful situation that I have been through working on a project that I've been trying to finish for several years. certain people (mostly one person) have lied, cheated, stolen, and tricked people. He still has not come clean regarding with what he did. This awesome blog that mdot posted, was right down the situation I've been through. Stabbing people in the back, is not a good way to keep a good reputation.

      cheers.

      Delete
    3. Damn dude, that's really shitty :/ Good luck, push through. There's always the next project.

      Delete
  2. Since my reputation bank is completely empty, I have what I guess you could call "insurance". Weekly ill post a blog stating my progress, and monthly ill post a video SHOWING my progress. This would be the insurance.
    You, mi amigo, are like a billionaire in my book as far as reputation goes. As you've said up there. I do trust you with my physical money. (ie pre-orders, donations, etc.) and you deserve that trust.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the