Skip to main content

THE BAD PLATFORM- post commentary+bitcoin shirts

I just finished a new little game called "THE BAD PLATFORM"  that I spent about a week on- you can watch the trailer here-



You can play the game in your browser here

I had been working on the prototype for a bitcoin mining adventure game when I got the idea for the bad platform- I just got the idea one day to make a game from the perspective of the platform in platformer games- most of us are probably more like the platforms than the players in the real world- getting stepped on by douchebags on their way to money and copulation-


Is this the first game where you play as a platform getting revenge on the players? I couldn't find any- if it is I called this genre "platformer revenge"

It was fun to take a concept and turn it around into a game that was released in a week- the mechanics are very simple so its not like its some complicated thing but games don't have to be complicated to be fun-

I started this project as my first mobile game- I was developing it as an android game- it has the touch stuff already built into the project- I had never built a game for android before so I had to install the Android SDK- which had its problems and took a few hours to get right- I also had to install the Java development kit which Unity wouldn't recognize and took a few hours- THEN when I finished managed to build the game it failed at the last step and corrupted all of my materials 0_0



So I just decided to build it as Unity web player game- I was using really simple models and tiny textures to keep the file sizes down for mobile so it works well as a mobile game being only 8.9 megs- I was really trying to keep the draw calls down and this game averages about 35 at all times-

Diving into the mobile functions you can access with Unity gave me another idea for a game- when I saw that I could control game functions by tilting the device, checking how many fingers are touching etc yeah it gave me some ideas ^_^

I just hope that with the next mobile game I try to develop I can actually build it successfully and figure out why my materials got corrupted- I need to read/research a lot more about developing for iOS and Android as there's limitations/guidelines you have to follow- several things I had never encountered before like POT and NPOT textures-

Game dev is starting to get fun though- using Unity + Playmaker and putting out these games is making the transition from idea to finished game smoother and smoother each go round-

And actually this game gave me some practice into what making a 2d platformer would be like- I had to learn how to make enemies that acknowledge and react to obstacles by using triggers in level to tell them to wait and only jump when a raycast hit the platform- I did my first simple little boss battle wherein the boss has a simple repeating behavior in attacking the player- I learned how to set up a high score system that persists when the player quits the game using player prefs- so yeh I could take on a little 2d platformer game next

I started learning game dev with 3d games so only having to work in 2 axes with 2d is a lot easier BUT I kind of think that since my background is in 3d animation- 3d games is where I can do some awesome stuff- but quick 2d games certainly are fun to do-

I've got a stack of game dev ideas/projects to pick from for the next thing- I'll have to go over my paperwork tomorrow and decide what's next!

As long as you're learning, every project you finish is a win- so keep challenging yourself with projects that FORCE you to learn new things- rise to the challenge, raise your bar and keep moving up!

I starting making animated films in 2003- and stopped in 2013 but when I look back at everything I learned and how my work progressed in ten years it surprised me 0_0 I'm really excited to see what kind of games I'll be able to make in ten years from now ^_^

Never get too comfortable with your work- keep pushing, keep learning, keep moving, keep adapting- that's how I approach my work and so far its kept me really happy and excited to wake up each day I have something to work on- now when I'm not working on anything I'm not a very nice person haha.

But yeh... go play THE BAD PLATFORM!

OH YEAH also- I wanted to buy a Bitcoin themed shirt this week but couldn't find any I liked so I designed some of my own and bought on of those haha- you can get them here-



Comments

  1. What is your Steam account name, Mdot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun game ^___^ The kind of rhythmical control reminded me a bit of Otocky - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT7CydZT9nY

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the