Skip to main content

My advice on producing 3d films/animation in 2019



Someone emailed me to ask me some advice on producing 3d animation/films over the internet- hiring freelancers and the like-

I thought my replies might be helpful to others to I'll post them here-

Q I would greatly appreciate any advice regarding hiring talent, paying talent, publicizing the work, or any creative advice at all. Thank you very much for reading, and I look forward to a response.

AAs far as hiring talent goes- I've really only hired voice actors and a few 2d artists- 

For the voice acting I've done that through the internet and worked remotely with really good results. I found all my voice actors on youtube- I just searched for peoples voice acting auditions or for youtube people that did impressions of famous voices- I only chose people that displayed the skills I wanted in their demo's- so the "audition" process was me listening to their material and making lists of what people would work for what role- 

I think the important takeaway for me from that process was that I only hired people who had already displayed the talents I wanted- so there were no surprises when it came to do the voice I needed-

For my last film I am Nightmare- I hired 3 voiced actors and between them they did about ten voices- I purposely chose people that could do a variety of voices for that purpose- working with a large group of voice actors can be difficult so try and get some voice actors who can do multiple voices-

I paid them through Paypal- After we agree to the price- I pay half up front and then half on completion of the work- NEVER pay them all of the money up front- I've done that a few times for artists and never received the finished work- you've got to keep them a little hungry for $ so they will finish the work on time.

I highly recommend the 3 main voice actors I used on my last film

The production strategy I would recommend is not a typical one yet but its something I'm doing now and I predict will be more popular in the future- produce your animation using a game engine- Use Unity https://unity.com/ 

IF you use Unity you will have access to thousands of really affordable/free assets including art/animation/fx etc from the Unity Asset store https://assetstore.unity.com/- If you are resourceful in using Unity and pre-made assets(you can modify them to make them your own, changing materials/textures etc) you can create work cheaply with a TINY team- even on your own that will look like it was made by large teams for a lot of $

So I say- use Unity- get/buy pre-made models- customize them to your liking and enjoy the realtime rendering in Unity- As far as production goes- you'd only have to pay voice actors and a sound designer/mixer if you don't do that yourself-

I recommend that because that is what I am using/doing now- if you look through my youtube channel at my music videos- the last 6 or so have been made using Unity with the techniques I've described-

Q-  Thank you for suggesting using Unity to produce the animation, I have watched your videos and understand. Real-time rendering and customizing pre-made assets sounds like great benefits, but do you have an opinion on using Blender as an alternative? Blender seems to be fully free, customizable, and Blender's EEVEE engine is a real-time renderer. I wonder if the free Blender Version 2.79 (or the upcoming 2.8 in July) would give the same amount of customizability and potential as Unity's $125/month Pro Plan?

I feel confident in being able to work with a team of voice actors, sound designers, and artists remotely. If I were to put together a team of 3D animators, would communicating among them remotely be functional as well?

A - Blender is a great tool for the creation of 3d/cg assets- the reason I steer more towards Unity is that you can utilize pre-made assets from the asset store that you modify slightly instead of making them inside of Blender etc- It takes a lot of time to create such assets and hiring cg artists to create new ones will be much much more expensive that purchasing collections of pre-made assets- there are also a lot of free ones that can be modified-

Blender is a useful tool in this process though- I would use it to modify pre-made assets and use it to make new assets if you cannot find pre-made ones that work for your use-

So I say- go out and see what pre-made assets are out there- collect/buy all the ones you need then if there are any lacking then look to hire someone to make them for you or model them yourself-

For example on my current big game project- I purchased/repurposed a lot of low cost models from the Unity asset store and Turbosquid- I tweak them slightly to make them "mine"

I'm not familiar with Blenders animation/timeline engine so I can't comment on it when it comes to producing animation inside of it- the pitfall to watch out for with "realtime" renderers is that they sometimes require expensive GPU's to work in realtime or near realtime- With Unity I'm using a 4 year old $120 gpu and I get realtime renders-

Another positive for Unity in my perspective is that it makes it very easy to create an executable out of your film/project- that allows you to market/sell it in a huge market like Steam as an interactive film etc-

I just see Unity as a much more progressive pipeline-

To produce films inside of Unity you can use the Free version- there is nothing in the paid versions that will enhance the filmmaking process-

Working with freelance modelers/animators is going to be very difficult- that's another reason I recommend going for pre-made assets- I think if you hire freelance artists you are going to spend most of your time trying to wrangle them- trying to get them to stick to deadlines and give you the work you want- I would try to avoid that- when shopping for assets you get exactly what's shown- when hiring people to make art- you don't know what you are going to get- and you'll have to pay more/wait to make any changes etc-

I've looked at art station myself but haven't used it- my current strategy is to contact Unity asset store creators whose models I have purchased/used- when purchasing models-especially character models- the character topology/Uv's/polycount/Rig etc is very important- when you buy/use their assets you see how they do all this and can test it within your pipeline- so you know whether their methods fit with what you're trying to do-

For example- I purchased assets from this publisher- and I like the way they make things so if I wanted to hire them I'd email them at the address listed on their asset store page- https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/27420

Comments

  1. I absolutely love your blog! I've been reading through a bunch of articles and honestly they're super helpful. I'm interested in 3d modeling/animation but I've hit a huge creative block this year with life being thrown at me, honestly your content here and on youtube is super inspiring to get my focus back into it. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the