Skip to main content

Game dev thoughts while making God Machine



I've been posting some stuff in the Game Dev Grit discord as I work away on God Machine-



I realized that Discord server is a walled garden and not googleable so I should post in here as well so that it can be found...

This is a dump of random stuff- from now on I'll also post here in a more organized way-

High Level Game Design

Something I was doing wrong with my enemy design with my big game- I was designing enemies based on "cool enemy ideas" - So, since it was fun I designed all these enemies based on the areas they were in and "cool designs"- I realize now that the enemies should be designed on how they interact with specific player mechanics-

So in the future I won't design any enemies until all the player mechanics are locked in- and then the enemies will be based on adding risk to certain player mechanics

Simple example- if your player can fire projectiles- design an enemy that has a shield that can bounce the projectiles back at the player to damage them
October 31, 2019

While making music for my level as I was building the level I got to thinking about that Goethe quote "Architecture is frozen music" (have been reading basic architecture books) I started thinking about matching a games visual design with its music in a different way- like my levels are simply built using synthetic materials(metal,stone), it has Japanese influences and 8 bit elements- the music I am making is electronic with tradtional Japanese and chiptune instruments- so the visual level design and music match in a way as if the architecture was the frozen version of the music and vice versa-

Its like how pixel art and chiptune go together so well- the music is a liquid version of the architecture-

So I'm going to really make sure the architecture and the music match up in this way

This book is in no way in depth but I've found it VERY useful when thinking about architecture for level design https://www.amazon.com/101-Things-Learned-Architecture-School/dp/0262062666

Low Level game Design

MdotStrange: Time tracking/management through git commit history or milestones? As I start to finish the early levels of the game I want to know how long it took to complete each level- Since I commit a few times a day and write pretty detailed descriptions I'm going to start using my commit history to track level building time so I can get an idea how long future levels will take... anyone do anything like this? [5:24 PM] MdotStrange: Github milestones seem like a perfect solution but afaik they need tasks/issues attributed to them to use them- somedays I commit a bunch of work that is not an issue/task nor does is close an issue- so that work would not be visible to the milestone... [5:26 PM] MdotStrange: So my current solution is to create a milestone for each level with only two issues/tasks attributed to it "Start X level" and "Finish X level" I'll close those issues on the start and finish of each level- making it easy to see how long each one took- [5:29 PM] MdotStrange: The reason I'm interested in tracking the time is so I can have a reasonable estimated completion date- So I'm documenting the time it takes to finish each levels first pass using a simple spreadsheet

I think hierarchy organization for level design is a bit like refactoring code- if you go quick and dirty its best to go back and clean things up in the hierarchy

after an hour of work my hierarchy is a mess so I stop and put things into their folders
October 30, 2019

Thinking about WHEN to add fine details to a level- fine detals like decals, greebles(tons of small items to add detail) and vertex map painting- Should this be done when the level is "finished" but untested? Should it be done when finished AND tested? Should it only be done when all the levels are done? Just wanted to get some opinions on when to add the final visual polish to a level...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What format should I render out of Cinema 4d with?

UPDATED 2_27_13!  RENDER USING EXR Lossy Zip16! Since I'm working on a new feature film that will generate over 1500 shots made up of image sequences I need to make sure I choose the right file format to render to lest my hard drives explode. What I need from my format is  at least 16bit, an alpha included and preferably small size. I rendered out a frame from my film tallied up all the file sizes here- their all different types of codecs listed from smallest file size to largest. The render includes an RGBA pass, Depth pass, and Material Luminance pass because thats what I always render out. 1.00mb 8bit-Photo Jpeg %100 1.27mb 8bit-PNG 4.65mb 16bit- EXR lossy ZIP16 5.75mb 8bit-PSD 6.23mb 16bit-EXR lossy PLZ 6.44mb 16bit-PNG 7.94mb 8bit-TIFF 8.50mb 16bit-EXR Lossy 24 9.05mb 16bit-EXR Lossy Run Length 14.6mb 8bit-TARGA 22.4mb 32bit-EXR ZIP16 24.6mb 32bit-EXR Zip1 25.6mb 32bit-EXR PLZ 29.3mb 16bit-TIFF 29.3mb 16bit-PSD 40.0mb 32bit-EXR Run Length 58.7mb 16

Aggregated feedZ

So I totally aggregated all meh rss feedZ...So in this one handy like feed thing you can get... -Meh blog posts -Meh EXCITING Facebook status updates (ex. "I'm so FACE") -Meh youtube videos -Meh Vimeo videos -Meh Blogtalk radio episodes - and much more (actually just like some other xml code that i don't understand) Just subscribe via this link and you can get all that for a low low price of...oh wait it's totally FREE ^ ^

So a guy is trying to take credit for my film...

TLDR- Scroll down to THE THIEVERY My name is Mike- I make films under the name "M dot Strange" and I have done so for the past 10+ years- this is my story as a filmmaker culminating in a recent event wherein a "filmmaker" tried to take credit for my life's work Here's my imdb page with my film credits  My web site Here's a reel with stuff from my original films in which I wrote/created/designed/animated etc everything that you see- I can and have performed all aspects of animated film production on my films- thats sort of how I made a name for myself- by being a one man animated film studio Here's a presentation from 2014 with me discussing the production of my last film My first animated feature film "We Are The Strange" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007 Sundance archives link Article about the film Link to the film Film's site Because of the buzz that film generated I was given offers to sell the